An email list is one of the most powerful tools you can use in your business and in your personal brand. With a list of contacts under your belt, you have a built-in audience for everything from sales to website traffic. When you really think about it, it just makes sense: email brings in a much more personal form of contact than a simple blog post or Facebook ad. You don’t just let anyone into your email inbox (at least, not anyone you’re actually going to engage with), and building a list is a great thing to have in your toolbox.
The key to growing it? Lead magnets, lead magnets, lead magnets.
What is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is something that you use to magnetize people to become a lead. In simple terms, it’s something you give away in exchange for contact information — most typically, an email list. Plus, the word magnet is there for a reason — you want that lead magnet of yours to be so engaging that it essentially magnetizes your audience to sign up to snag it.
10 lead magnet ideas
Wondering how the heck to create a great lead magnet in your business? Here are 10 lead magnet ideas to pull from:
- A template you use: People love things that give them value, especially if they’re things that can be easily implemented in their own businesses or their lives — which is where templates come in. From offering a free budget spreadsheet template to copy swipe files, offer something value-packed in nature that encourages people to sign up.
- An e-book or guide: While you don’t want to spend hours and hours on creating a free lead magnet that won’t return an immediate payout, there can be big value in something heftier like an e-book or a guide. Consider creating a jam-packed PDF that gives your audience a ton to choose from and sign up for.
- An engaging infographic: Creating an infographic as a lead magnet can be super powerful, especially if your business deals in more complicated affairs. If you can create an infographic that makes something make sense for your customers (especially something they can really use), it can be an easy way to encourage list sign-ups.
- An exclusive tutorial: People love exclusive materials, which makes exclusivity a fabulous way to build your email list. By offering something that your audience can’t get anywhere else (like a tutorial only you can provide), people will want in.
- A quiz: People love quizzes, especially if they’re created to tell the person something they don’t already know. By integrating a great quiz into your site and then requiring an email list to access results, you can build a quick library of leads.
- A challenge: If you’re willing to put in a bit more upfront work to create your lead magnet, building out an email challenge can show your audience your expertise, help them to trust you, and then engage them via their inbox. Whether it’s a 3-day mini email challenge or a longer, bi-weekly challenge, offering something similar is a great lead magnet.
- A limited-time coupon: Saving money is always a great marketing strategy — so offer a pop-up or exclusive discount code to those who sign up for your email list. This is the easiest, simplest way to capture leads that will immediately buy from you.
- A giveaway: Depending on your business area, a giveaway can be a really engaging and interesting way to create a library of leads. Whether you’re giving away one of your own products or services or you’re pairing with another business to do the same, hyping people up for a giveaway is a great way to remind them how great your product or service could make their life.
- A free quote or waitlist entry: If you’re a service-based business or a product-based business launching a service, use it to your advantage! Have potential clients sign up for a free quote or to snag a spot on your waitlist by entering their emails — super easy and a great way to target.
- A workbook: While getting someone to sign up for your email list is a great thing, making them engage with your lead magnet is even better. By creating something like a workbook that your audience needs to physically work through, you’ll create a more engaged audience — which gives them more chances to buy from you or choose to work for you.
At Marketing Career Hub, we’re here to help you build a powerful career in best field ever — marketing and strategy! No matter who you’re or what you’re doing, we’re here to help you get there. Find out more.